[Solved] Winre.wim, boot.wim and LZMS compression (solid, non-solid)

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
unwillinglyawesome

[Solved] Winre.wim, boot.wim and LZMS compression (solid, non-solid)

Post by unwillinglyawesome »

Hi, everyone

I was wondering if it's okay to compress Winre.wim and boot.wim that way (for Windows 8.1 and later):

Code: Select all

winoptimize.cmd --compress=LZMS:100 --chunk-size=64M .\Mounted\Windows\System32\Winre.wim
winoptimize.cmd --compress=LZMS:100 --chunk-size=64M .\Media\sources\boot.wim
Not sure if the numbers after LZMS: do anything in that case.

Also, as far as I know, neither Winre.wim nor boot.wim supports solid format, but will it have compatibility issues with non-solid LZMS compression with custom chunk size?

SOLVED: WinPE Setup supports neither LZMS non-solid, nor LZMS solid compression types.
Last edited by unwillinglyawesome on Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: Winre.wim, boot.wim and LZMS compression (solid, non-solid)

Post by synchronicity »

I think this is one of the cases that's still limited to LZX 32K as the best available compression method, but this is a limitation in Microsoft software that I don't have insight into. Try it and see if it works with the particular Windows version you're using.
unwillinglyawesome

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I'll look into it if I have some spare time. For now, I've tried doing LZX:100 (the default chunk size) with Windows 10 21H2 ISO for both boot.wim and Winre.wim, and it seems to work.
unwillinglyawesome

Tried --solid and --compress:LZMS on boot.wim, neither of them boots, it just showed me a blue solid screen and stuck.