wimapply exit with error code 68

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
barathanr

wimapply exit with error code 68

Post by barathanr »

Hello All,

im currently stuck with a challenge to apply .wim image to ntfs partition of a SSD on a Linux environment. i successfully installed wimlib and run following command to apply wim image to a ntfs partition : "wimapply /path/to/wim/file /dev/sdb1".

The error message i received was as follows : "wimlib was compiled without support for NTFS-3G, so it cannot apply a wim image directly to an NTFS volume. Exiting with error code 68 : the requested operation is not supported"

i confirmed using "df -T" command that my SSD's ntfs partition is not mounted anywhere. I also confirmed that my linux machine has NTFS-3G (2021.8.22) installed. Since the error stated that the wimlib was compiled without NTFS-3G, i downloaded the wimlib source code and compiled on my linux environment. during the ./configure step, i noticed that NTFS-3G was checked as below. However, i still get the exact same error when i try to apply wim image to the SSD ntfs partition. Please advise how to get around this

Code: Select all

checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for LIBXML2... yes
checking whether to include support for ntfs-3g... yes
checking for LIBNTFS_3G... yes
checking whether to include support for mounting WIMs... yes
checking for LIBFUSE... yes
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: wimapply exit with error code 68

Post by synchronicity »

It sounds like your Linux distro (which one?) didn't compile wimlib with NTFS-3G support enabled. So you need to build wimlib yourself, which you did, but I'm guessing you accidentally used the distro-provided version rather than the one you compiled. Make sure to uninstall the distro-provided version first.
barathanr

Post by barathanr »

Hello, thank you for the suggestion. My linux version is OpenSuse 13.6. i tried uninstalling using "make uninstall". I also tried "zypper remove wimlib" but seems like i didnt install wimlib via zypper. i also verified if any other wimlib is installed on my linux pc using command "which wimlib" and confirmed that everything is cleared. After that, i rebuild the wimlib from source and made sure the configure checked for ntfs-3g. I still seem to get the exact same error. Please advise if i am missing anything?
barathanr

Post by barathanr »

Hello guys, anymore suggestion on this? Has anyone successfully use wimapply to apply wim images on a ntfs volume on linux env?
synchronicity
Site Admin

Post by synchronicity »

You can build wimlib with NTFS-3G support using --with-ntfs-3g. Just make sure to actually use the version of wimlib that you built, and not a different version as you seem to be doing. One way to do this is to run ./wimlib-imagex from the top of the source tree after building.