Optimization in solid mode doesn't update some metadata

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
gyakkun

Optimization in solid mode doesn't update some metadata

Post by gyakkun »

@Synchronicity

Thanks for your great job. Recently I performed a wim optimization to my old wim file generated by imagex using XPRESS compresion with default parameters. The solid mode parameters I used are same as the default of esd file, with LZMS method and 64MB chunk size. However, either using imagex or wiminfo to parse the optimized file, the returned compress method and chunk size kept unchanged as the original file. And the optimized file can only be apply by wimlib. Imagex throw an error indecated an error input file.

Could you please fix it?

Best regards

gyakkun
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: Optimization in solid mode doesn't update some metadata

Post by synchronicity »

In the WIM file format, the solid compression type(s) and solid chunk size(s) are separate from the main compression type and chunk size. So in this case, to match a DISM-created /compress:recovery file exactly you'd need to explicitly change the main compression type to LZMS and the main chunk size to 128k:

Code: Select all

wimoptimize --compress=lzms --chunk-size=128k --solid
In retrospect I probably should have kept made the basic syntax work like the DISM /compress option, to hide this quirk. But this is how it works now.
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: Optimization in solid mode doesn't update some metadata

Post by synchronicity »

https://wimlib.net/git/?p=wimlib;a=comm ... cc27ccbf52 makes 'wimoptimize --solid' work as expected.