unmount and commit in new wim file

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
bliblubli

unmount and commit in new wim file

Post by bliblubli »

Hi Synchronicity,
when the hard drive containing the read-write mounted wim file is full, it would really help to be able to commit the changes in another wim file (on another drive).
In this case, having the possibility to have it as a delta-wim for fast commit or as full standalone optimized version of the image for backup purpose would cover most use cases.
Awesome would be to offer this option automatically when the changes to be commited risk to be bigger than available space. The user could then specify a path and a parameter to choose between normal and delta wim.
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: unmount and commit in new wim file

Post by synchronicity »

Hmm, I think this would be possible, though it's not trivial. Were you thinking the options would be added to wimmount, or to wimunmount? Also, it might be possible to just delete the files from the read-write mount's "staging directory" as the WIM file gets written, which would help prevent out-of-space problems.
bliblubli

Re: unmount and commit in new wim file

Post by bliblubli »

I would add it to wimunmount personally. It would allow to see if another drive is required or not, based on the changes made while the archive was mounted. Often, I only know how much space was taken/freed only after I'm finished modifying.

Regarding deleting files as they are added, it would certainly help a lot on windows, as the current driver only allows to use a half at max of the drive, in fact due to compression more like a third for the wim, if you want to be able to mount it on the same drive. Deleting all the files that were not modified at all (most of the time, it's the majority of the files) would make a lot of space available quickly.

Nonetheless, I often mount on Linux because of the very good driver, which allow to mount multi-TB images on drives with only some GB available, which is quick and efficient. So my problem is more that one day or another, a drive will always get full and having an option to unmount to commit the new image to another wim file would save a lot of work and make working more peaceful :)