capture wim compatible with windows7 setup.exe

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: capture wim compatible with windows7 setup.exe

Post by synchronicity »

@larsm

The --flags option actually controls the FLAGS element in the XML document. So the equivalent would be --image-property FLAGS=[your value here]. It could be added to 'wiminfo' but I'd rather consider the --flags option deprecated now that wimlib automatically sets the Windows-specific XML information on newly captured images and the more general --image-property option is available.

@bliblubli

First of all, if you're creating archives from a live Windows system then the filesystem absolutely will change even if you "aren't doing anything". Windows has many services running in the background.

The case with Windows PE is a little more mysterious. Are you saying you still used the --snapshot option even though the system wasn't live? That's not really necessary, but perhaps what you observed is an artifact of wimlib selecting to back up the "bootable system state" while creating the snapshot. Can you please provide more detail about exactly what files changed?
bliblubli

Post by bliblubli »

I don't remember everything, but files in /program data, /windows/inf, /windows/system32 and /windows were modified. Why would inf or system32 datas be modified by a background service? I would understand for temp/log data, but for the rest... I know it's not libwim's fault, but strange. Note that it was on a fresh installed, not yet connected installation.
From the windowsPE, I didn't use the --snapshot option. As you asked, I tried to but it didn't work (shadow copy couldn't be started for some reason). It is a default win10PE image, from the latest ADK, not modified. What was disturbing was that the --update-of option excluded some files that were updated otherwise. The procedure from PE was:
- create a first capture "first.wim"
- create a second wim with --update-of=first.wim:first_image and --delta-from=first.wim
- create a third wim with --delta-from=first.wim only
synchronicity
Site Admin

Post by synchronicity »

@bliblubli

Unless you are able to provide more information, it sounds to me that your filesystems are being modified, so the archives created by wimlib correctly reflect the differences. This is getting off topic as this thread was originally about WIM XML information. If you really believe you have found a bug in wimlib then please create a *new* topic and provide full details about *exactly* what you did and *exactly* what wimlib did which you believe is wrong. The full output of 'wimdir --detail' and 'wiminfo --blobs' run on your WIM archives can also be very helpful...