Error Code 72

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
BirdseedBoy

Error Code 72

Post by BirdseedBoy »

I'll just clarify that I'm a computer newb and dumbass in general.

I am trying to create the windows bootable file on my macbook for my first ever custom built PC and I think I've almost done it.

However, when using terminal and following the steps from a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tax450 ... orgeHolden)

I have run into the following error:

Finished splitting "/Volumes/CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9/sources/install.wim" ERROR: Exiting with error code 72: Failed to write data to a file.

I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know if someone could help me with this but I'd be extremely appreciative. If you are kindly going to provide some advice make sure you're explaining it like you would to a little kid. Really appreciate any help. Thanks!
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: Error Code 72

Post by synchronicity »

> Finished splitting "/Volumes/CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9/sources/install.wim" ERROR: Exiting with error code 72: Failed to write data to a file.

The fact that it prints "Finished splitting <file>" when it fails is a bug; that should only happen on success. I've gone ahead and fixed that.

As for the actual error message, there should be another error message just before the snippet which you quoted, which gives more detailed information about what caused the write to fail.

A common reason for a write to fail is if the filesystem is out of space.