ESD to WIM

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
halfjaguar

ESD to WIM

Post by halfjaguar »

How do you convert/extract an install.esd file from a Windows 10 ISO to install.wim? I'm attempting to install Windows 10 through Bootcamp but as soon as it restarts into Windows 10 to complete the install I get a blue screen. I believe it is the install.esd file and therefore need to convert/extract it to an install.wim or something of this nature. Any ideas?
dvntaudio

Re: ESD to WIM

Post by dvntaudio »

Hello,
This answer is late and for future users. It's also the second time I've written it as the original vanished when I tried to save draft and it had me login again :?
Anyway there is DISM which is command line and is difficult to use and easy to bungle your project.
I use DISM++ which is an excellent toolset
Can be found here----> https://www.bytesin.com/software/Dism-/
Or on Major Geeks site. It will convert Wim to ESD or ISO.
However you must have sufficient cache, disk space and swap to deal with the files... expect at least twice the size of your source ESD or WIM;
because WIM format is immutable and ESD is a specialized compression of the content within the WIM. I was working with some significantly large WIM (16.9Gb and a 31.7Gb) I attempted to compress the latter WIM contents to ESD so it would fit on a 32Gb USB key. The computer I used had insufficient
resources so the operation hung and then crashed explorer.
Hope that helps some of you in the future...
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: ESD to WIM

Post by synchronicity »

You can do it with a command like:

Code: Select all

wimexport foo.esd all bar.wim --compress=lzx