Wim To ESD & ESD To Wim is always heavy for me ?

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
Friendly

Wim To ESD & ESD To Wim is always heavy for me ?

Post by Friendly »

Hi,

I tried "wimexport install.wim all install.esd --solid" but I had to always abort the process in the middle, on this 4gb ram laptop without SSD.

I took all the care & tried many times.

(i) Always disconnected from the internet & disabled the antivirus every time just before the process ( Kaspersky Paid : The only 3rd party security program! ).

(ii ) Tried it on win 7,8 & 10.

(iii ) Tried it even with 1, 2, 3 & 4 ( default ) cpu threads command, thinking it's all well even if it completes slowly without problems, but the fans & heat...!

(iv) No multitasking ever!

(v) Ran from the folder in the root of the partition with only 10% of occupancy!

I always follow the best of practices, making updates, keeping it clean every way with great care!, monitoring Event Viewer, no optimizers, no registry tools, no infections, sfc /scannow all good, DISM all good, free disk space, just everything but. ... ?

Please help.

Thanks in advance!
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: Wim To ESD & ESD To Wim is always heavy for me ?

Post by synchronicity »

It's expected that creating a solid-compressed WIM takes a long time and uses all CPUs (or however many threads you set). It's very computationally intensive.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

synchronicity wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:04 am It's expected that creating a solid-compressed WIM takes a long time and uses all CPUs (or however many threads you set). It's very computationally intensive.
Sorry for the delay & thanks for the quick & prompt response! I realize that the process is very heavy. Is it possible to break the whole procedure in small parts ?

Thanks for this great utility, wonderful documentation & service. The more I indulge, the more I learn from it.

Thanks. ...
chungy

Post by chungy »

Friendly wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:11 pm Sorry for the delay & thanks for the quick & prompt response! I realize that the process is very heavy. Is it possible to break the whole procedure in small parts ?
wimlib does this by default by splitting off into as many compression threads as you have CPU cores. If you aren't using "--threads 1" to override, there isn't much to do to make it go faster.