[Solved] No awareness of Windows "packages"?

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
Hakkvild Yashnag-Slayer

[Solved] No awareness of Windows "packages"?

Post by Hakkvild Yashnag-Slayer »

Hello,

in the README.WINDOWS.TXT from the wimlib Windows distribution there's a warning:
* wimlib-imagex has no awareness of Windows "packages"
At first I imagined that by backuping my Windows system volume I'd loose all the *.msi/*.msp content in the %windir%/installer folder and with that I'd also loose the "Programs and Features" functionality in the Control Panel or the "Apps & features" equivalent in the Windows Settings for already present installed programs. However after inspecting the resulting *.esd file I can still see the *.msi/*.msp content is still there. So can you please tell me then specific ramifications of the wimlib not being aware of Windows packages?

Thank You.
Last edited by Hakkvild Yashnag-Slayer on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: No awareness of Windows "packages"?

Post by synchronicity »

It means that wimlib doesn't provide convenience commands to add/remove Windows packages like DISM does: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... using-dism

But wimlib will still capture and restore installed packages at the file level, like any other files on the filesystem. They're not treated specially in any way.