wimcapture --check without verifying

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
yushiyang

wimcapture --check without verifying

Post by yushiyang »

Hi, I'd like to request that the --check option not cause wimcapture to automatically verify any existing images. Or at the very least, separate it into two options: one to create integrity table, one to check existing images. If I need to verify an image, I can always run wimverify manually. This is an issue with larger images that takes hours to verify each time.

Additionally, and I think this qualifies as a bug, if you run wimcapture --check --update-of="blah:1" --delta-from="blah", the entire image is verified TWICE in a row, one for "update-of" and one for "delta-from". This can easily be fixed simply by not automatically verifying data.

I would like to request a similar change for wimappend as well, naturally.

If you need to maintain backwards compatibility, could you please add a new option that produces the integrity table without performing the verification.
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: wimcapture --check without verifying

Post by synchronicity »

Hi, I'd like to request that the --check option not cause wimcapture to automatically verify any existing images. Or at the very least, separate it into two options: one to create integrity table, one to check existing images. If I need to verify an image, I can always run wimverify manually. This is an issue with larger images that takes hours to verify each time.

[...]

I would like to request a similar change for wimappend as well, naturally.

If you need to maintain backwards compatibility, could you please add a new option that produces the integrity table without performing the verification.
It should be noted that wimappend without --check won't verify the existing integrity table, but will retain an integrity table if there was one before. That should be enough for most 'wimappend' use cases. Still, in other situations, e.g. when creating a delta WIM, it can make sense to split out the verification from adding an integrity table as you suggested. So, I've added an --include-integrity option. --check continues to both verify the input WIM(s) and include an integrity table in the output WIM(s), while --include-integrity just does the latter. It's accepted by most wimlib-imagex commands (capture, append, delete, export, info, join, optimize, split, update).
Additionally, and I think this qualifies as a bug, if you run wimcapture --check --update-of="blah:1" --delta-from="blah", the entire image is verified TWICE in a row, one for "update-of" and one for "delta-from". This can easily be fixed simply by not automatically verifying data.
There was an optimization for this case, but it only applied if you didn't provide a filename to the --update-of option, i.e. used the syntax "--update-of=1" instead of "--update-of=blah:1", so the filename defaulted to the one provided in --delta-from, or alternatively the WIM being appended to (for wimappend). But I went ahead and extended this optimization to cases where a filename is provided and it matches a --delta-from filename or the filename of the WIM being appended to.

You can find both of these changes in wimlib-v1.13.0-BETA1.