Suggestion: merge capture and append into functionally identical commands

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
Alacran

Re: Suggestion: merge capture and append into functionally identical commands

Post by Alacran »

Hi Synchronicity

First I want to thanks you for this fantastic tool.

I have been using wimlib-imagex since your first post on rebot.pro, recently I updated wimlib-imagex from v1.12 to v1.13 beta 5, and reading the documents found this new option --create for wimappend or append, at first seen its use seems perfectly clear, but as I frecuently use for my backups append --update-of and/or append --delta-from, some cuestions came to my mind:

1- Is it possible to use it together with append --update-of and/or append --delta-from? (I guess no if the referenced wim do not exist).

In case answer to my first question is Yes:

2 - Would command "%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append --create C:\ F:\Backups\Win7x64.wim --update-of=D:\Backups\Win7x64.wim:-1 be right?

3 - Would command "%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append --create C:\ F:\Backups\Win7x64.wim --delta-from=D:\Backups\Win7x64.wim be right?

Thanks in advance for your answer, and keep doing these fantastic work, now just for curiosity (no rush in any way) when are you planning to release final v1.13?, This Beta 5 looks good for RC, or you have some other changes on your mind and haven't commented on the forum?

Best Regards

Alacran
synchronicity
Site Admin

Post by synchronicity »

1- Is it possible to use it together with append --update-of and/or append --delta-from? (I guess no if the referenced wim do not exist).
--delta-from will work as usual, since for that you need to specify a different WIM file. Similarly, --update-of will work as usual if a different WIM file is given. --update-of will not work if you specify the WIM file being created. But I suppose I can make it work in that case, by ignoring --update-of.
2 - Would command "%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append --create C:\ F:\Backups\Win7x64.wim --update-of=D:\Backups\Win7x64.wim:-1 be right?

3 - Would command "%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append --create C:\ F:\Backups\Win7x64.wim --delta-from=D:\Backups\Win7x64.wim be right?
Those already work as-is, since you specified two different WIM files.
Thanks in advance for your answer, and keep doing these fantastic work, now just for curiosity (no rush in any way) when are you planning to release final v1.13?, This Beta 5 looks good for RC, or you have some other changes on your mind and haven't commented on the forum?
I don't have a specific release date planned. I probably won't make any other big changes, though.
Alacran

Post by Alacran »

@ Synchronicity

About:
--update-of will not work if you specify the WIM file being created. But I suppose I can make it work in that case, by ignoring --update-of.
I don't see a need to make this change, please keep it as it is now.

Thanks for your answer, After reading it, I made some tests using Append --create + --delta-from and Append --create + --update-of with a directory and all worked very fine.

Code: Select all

@echo off
"%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append --create D:\Portables F:\Backups\Portables.dwm --delta-from=D:\NO_BORRAR\Portables.wim

@echo off
"%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append D:\Portables F:\Backups\Portables.dwm --create --delta-from=D:\NO_BORRAR\Portables.wim

@echo off
"%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append D:\Portables F:\Backups\Portables.dwm --delta-from=D:\NO_BORRAR\Portables.wim --create

@echo off
"%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append --create D:\Portables F:\Backups\Portables.wim --update-of=D:\NO_BORRAR\Portables.wim:-1

@echo off
"%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append D:\Portables F:\Backups\Portables.wim --create --update-of=D:\NO_BORRAR\Portables.wim:-1

@echo off
"%~dp0\wimlib-imagex" append D:\Portables F:\Backups\Portables.wim --update-of=D:\NO_BORRAR\Portables.wim:-1 --create
Best Regards

Alacran