mounted wim

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
bliblubli

mounted wim

Post by bliblubli »

Hi,
When I mount a wim with DISM and work in the folder where it's mounted:
1) modification are only applied to it when unmounting right?
2) what if the original file has been compressed with wimlib? are the modified/added file compressed automatically with the original algorithm? If yes, I guess slower as with wimlib, as the algorithm used are the one from windows?
3) is there a way to have some files be mounted on startup to save some space?
4) Are the modification after unmount versioned/journalised ? I mean like saved in an image with the time as name, so that I can get a version back?
5) do you plan to make the mount feature also available on windows?
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: mounted wim

Post by synchronicity »

If you're wondering what DISM does you'll have to try it. This is not a DISM support forum.

Of course, wimlib and DISM use compatible data and compression formats (excepting some optional wimlib extensions), just implemented differently.

I don't plan to implement mount support on Windows. Besides the large effort required, I understand that there is no way to create virtual filesystems without having a driver signed by Microsoft. This is in contrast to Linux where anyone can implement filesystems in userspace.
bliblubli

Post by bliblubli »

Hi Synchronicity,
Sorry for the misunderstanding, of course I don't ask you to make support for other programs. But there are a lot of experienced users here, so maybe someone can help?
JFX

Post by JFX »

1) Yes and they are only applied if you use unmount the WIM with the /commit option
3) Use Wimboot or compact mode if you want to save space
4) No