WimLibScripts using WimLib

Comments, questions, bug reports, etc.
FrankHeimes

WimLibScripts using WimLib

Post by FrankHeimes »

Check out http://github.com/FrankHeimes/WimLibScripts
I crafted a few scripts for backup and restore using the WimLib library.
Comments highly appreciated.
synchronicity
Site Admin

Re: WimLibScripts using WimLib

Post by synchronicity »

From the list of known issues:
- The Windows `DISM` command as well as the `Mount-WindowsImage` PowerShell cmdlet are supposedly able to mount a WIM image.
But both report *"Attempted to load a file with a wrong format"* and the `dism.log` reports a *"version/header mismatch"* problem.
This is because the script creates a solid archive (using the --solid option). Such archives are much smaller, but are slower and more memory-intensive to create, DISM cannot mount them, and older versions of DISM (I think before Windows 8.1) cannot open them at all.
When restoring an image, WimLib typically issues `[WARNING] Ignoring FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SPARSE_FILE of nn files` for a small number `nn` of files. To my knowledge, this has no negative side effects.
Are you using the latest version of wimlib (v1.11.0) and restoring to an NTFS filesystem? In that case sparse file extraction should be supported and that message shouldn't be seen.
- The reported sizes of the images in the WIM file do not reflect the size of the extracted files on the volume;
the Windows `DISM` command reports the same figure.
According to my observation, the reported size is about 30% too large.
Is the script subtracting "Hard Link Bytes"?
FrankHeimes

Re: WimLibScripts using WimLib

Post by FrankHeimes »

Thanks for your comments.
I removed the --solid flag to make the images more DISM compatible.
Version v1.10.0 exhibited the sparse file issue. I'll test version v1.11.0 and update the manual accordingly.
I examined all available properties of the WIM images.
I'll have a closer look at if and how I can determine the hard link bytes.